Prof. Jelena Gavrilovic
Associate Professor, School of Biological Sciences
Cells and Tissues
I am interested in how cells interact with their environment – with other cells, with the extracellular matrix, in inflammatory situations.
I am currently focused on studies of human skin function in health and disease. I am interested in how epithelial cells heal wounds in healthy tissue and in conditions such as diabetes. With mycollaborators, consultant Diabetologist, Dr Ketan Dhatariya, (Norfolk and Norwich University Hosiptal; NNUH) and Dr Gerhard Saalbach at the John Innes Centre and funding from the Humane Research Trust and the UEA Innovation Fund, I am taking a new approach to study impaired wound healing in diabetes with MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry as well as quantitative proteomics I am taking a similar approach in Big C and NNUH funded studies with Consultant Plastic Surgeon/Surgical Oncologist, Prof Marc Moncrieff (NNUH) to explore the margins of melanomas.
- Norwich Skin Platform: Founder with Dr Damon Bevan in 2015
- Present appointment: Senior Lecturer in Cell Biology, University of East Anglia (full-time since 2014)
- Lecturer in Cell Biology (75% time), University of East Anglia (1997-2002)
- Group Leader (60% time) Strangeways Research Laboratory (1994-1997)
- Post-doctoral Associate (50% time) , Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge (1993-1994)
- One-year career break after birth of first child (1992-1993)
- Post-doctoral Fellow, University College London (1989-1992)
- Royal Society and EMBO Post-doctoral Fellow Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France(1987-1989)
- Ph.D. – Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge (1987)
- B.Sc. – Cell Biology, University College London (1978)